CC:DA Report from the 2014 ALA Midwinter Conference, Philadelphia
Here are the highlights of ALA’s ALCTS/CaMMS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) meetings during the Midwinter conference in Philadelphia, January 2014. The full agenda is available here: http://alcts.ala.org/ccdablog/?p=979.
Report from the Chair
The Recording Relationships Task Force (hereafter, TF) will be repopulated. A TF will be created to look at and act on a Discussion Paper about Pseudonymous Corporate Bodies. Also, meeting minutes will likely become less comprehensive in the interests of reducing the labor required to produce them.
Library of Congress report
Report of the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee
- The full report is available here: http://www.loc.gov/ala/mw-2014-update.html (see the Policy and Standards section).
- Updates to LC-PCC PSs were published in February and another update will come in April.
- Name authority revisions/additions for places and corporate bodies in Malaysia will be tackled soon.
- New interface to the LC online catalog is live at http://catalog2.loc.gov/.
Report from the TF on Machine-Actionable Data
- The JSC met in November, 2013 and acted on proposals submitted in the last cycle. Approved proposals will appear in the April RDA Toolkit update; further updates will take place in August and October.
- LC will draft a proposal to clarify the instructions for compilations of works by multiple creators in RDA 220.127.116.11 (6JSC/EURIG/Discussion/3)
- The original proposal (6JSC/ALA/26: Colour content, RDA 7.17) was withdrawn, but the CILIP rep will develop a proposal to model color into two elements: (a) identification of monochrome vs. polychrome (and the identification of the actual colors) and (b) the description of various production processes that can modify the color content of a resource.
- Plenty of other proposals were discussed by the JSC; I encourage you to take a look at the report for a full summary if you are interested (link on CC:DA agenda).
- She also brought five new proposals to CC:DA, including “Problems with 18.104.22.168, Leaves of Pages of Plates.” A small working group will be formed to resolve some contradictions, and, perhaps, the definition of “plate.”
Report from the PCC liaison
- Develop an element for Extent of expression (JSC directive)
- Still images added to charge--will review 6JSC/CCC/14 (relating to dimensions of still images) and potentially consult with ARLIS/NA.
- Duration may be addressed in concert with MusLA/OLAC (it’s extent)
Report from ALA Publishing Services
- December 31, 2014 will be the last date for original PCC AACR2 cataloging.
The following reports were given also:
- 8400 users, about 3.2 users/subscription; 30% customers are international
- Pricing structure changes: eliminated solo user subscription, attempting to lower the threshold of entry for small institutions, changed pricing model for LIS institutions, still offer short-term free access for training purposes.
- New RDA Toolkit features
- Quick language select/switch, with dual-pane view to compare languages
- Expanded URL linking, now down to the paragraph level
- August: expecting major revisions to the German and French versions, hoping for a Spanish and Finnish; other languages work ongoing
- Essential RDA in the works.
This was my last meeting as ARLIS/NA Liaison--a successor will be announced shortly and will begin with the Annual meeting. I will continue to chair the Appendix K Task Force until its charge is complete. It’s been an honor and a privilege to serve ARLIS/NA, I hope I have done it well, and I look forward to serving the society in another capacity.
- Presentation from Gordon Dunsire, Chair of the JSC, on “RDA for machines,” machine-actionable data and attributes. It’s now necessary for RDA to get rid of some non-FRBR concepts that AACR2 did not eradicate.
- Update from the TF on Place Names
- Discussion papers from OLAC/MusLA on technical and performing credits (RDA Chapters 2 & 7) and Recording duration (RDA 7.22)
- Fast track proposal on Appendix J (wording of derivative relationship terms)
- Report of the CC:DA Webmaster
- MAC (formerly MARBI) report
Submitted by Dan Lipcan, ARLIS/NA Liaison to the ALA Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access (Thomas J. Watson Library, The Metropolitan Museum of Art), firstname.lastname@example.org
... go to other ALA reports ...