CC:DA report from ALA midwinter, February 24, 1999
The major topic was discussing and responding to the report of the ALA representative
to the Joint Steering Committee, Brian Schottlaender, who came with numerous proposed rule
revisions and responses from the other members of the JSC.
- Work is being done to revise Chapter 9 and to replace all occurrences of the term
"Computer file" with "Electronic resource" where appropriate.
This entails a lot of detailed examination of the language and careful editing.
Since this is a long process when carried out among six organizations divided by two
oceans there is a push to try to get the clear cut revisions approved so that the GMD can
be changed as soon as possible. NB: until this process is complete "Computer
File" is still the correct GMD.
- The British Library has surprised everyone
by proposing eliminating titles of nobility and terms of honor from headings. CC:DA
eagerly approved the concept, and supports four of the six proposals needed to implement
it, but suggesting alternatives to the other two.
- A few miscellaneous proposals
to finish the work on revision to series statements stemming from CONSER’s proposals to
move LCRI’s into the rules themselves were reaffirmed.
If anyone wants to borrow or have copies of the following reports please let me
- Official minutes of the CC:DA meetings held at the ALA Annual Conference, June 27
& 29, 1998 (22 pp.)
- Task Force on the Harmonization of ISBD(ER) and AACR2:
Draft Final Report (37 pp.)
- Interim Report from the Task Force on Rule 0.24 (22
New task forces on the following topics were established:
- VRA Core Categories
- Review of the Draft Revision of Archival Moving Image Materials: A Cataloging Manual
Report by Daniel Starr