CC:DA Report from the 2012 ALA Annual Conference -- Anaheim, CA
This update outlines the highlights of the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) meeting at the recent 2012 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim. All CC:DA documentation, including this meeting's complete agenda and reports, is available here: http://alcts.ala.org/ccda/index.html. As always, please contact me if you have questions.
Report from the Chair
Report from the Library of Congress Representative, Barbara Tillett
- It's been a busy winter/spring and we expect another flurry of activity in August & September.
- New liaison appointed from ACRL's Rare Books and Manuscripts Section: Frances Lapka of the Yale Center for British Art.
Report of the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee, John Attig
- Detailed report here: http://www.loc.gov/ala/an-2012-update.html
- FYI, linked data/semantic web is not the only new model for a bibliographic framework they're exploring. [DPL note: she didn't say what those were, if they indeed exist!]
Report from the TF on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3
- 4 areas of JSC activity:
- Rewording of RDA; Establishing RDA vocabularies & metadata sets/registries; Correcting text of RDA; and
- Revision proposals for the November JSC meeting, Nov. 6-9 in Chicago. Deadline for submitting proposals is August 8; a few highlights of new proposals:
- Other places associated with a person
- Number, date, and location of a conference
- Reorganization of instructions on saints
- Reorganization of instructions for recording extent
- Sources for preferred titles in different languages
Revision proposals from AALL and CEAL -- RDA 22.214.171.124 (Places in certain federations)
- This was a great paper proposing a complete reworking of Chapter 3 to conform to an "Aspect-Unit-Quantity" model for describing extent and dimensions. [DPL note: I highly recommend reading it: http://alcts.ala.org/ccda/docs/tf-MRData3.pdf]
- There was some discussion about whether a textual string would have to be entered *as well as* fielded entries for the A-U-Q model; many of us hope not, and think that linking fields could be accomplished to make displays clear.
- Passed with proposed changes -- will go to the JSC as a discussion paper.
Report from the PCC liaison
- Approved with the following changes: Historical jurisdictions -- leave in; remove Ireland from 126.96.36.199; as a short-term solution, include a generalized version of the CEAL proposal as an alternative/option -- but we need examples, contribute them to the wiki
- Work towards a proposal with a wider scope: to treat all countries the same. This will be some form of the 'generalized' CEAL proposal becoming the primary instruction instead of an alternative/option.
Report from ALA Publishing Services
- Fall 2012 goal for providing a SINGLE bibliographic standard record (for ALL formats and ALL communities) for community comment
- LCPS will become LC-PCC policy statements in RDA; LC-only practices will be identified in the RDA Toolkit.
Report from the TF on Sources of Information -- revision proposals
- Toolkit renewal rates lower than they'd like (60%) -- in order to break even they need 3 or 4 times as many subscribers. They've been losing money
- Rewording: goal to have updated RDA Chapters 9-11, 6, 2 and a couple more in Toolkit by December.
- April 2012 update affected 90% of the print version; new cumulation coming in December.
- Many Toolkit functionality updates.
CC:DA also heard reports from the following TFs and/or approved the following proposals as written or with minor changes:
- Appendix A: RDA 188.8.131.52 and 2.2.4 to clarify the status of container as part of a resource, approved
- Appendix B: RDA 184.108.40.206, Resource Issued as a Single Unit and 2.2.3, More Than One Preferred Source of Information -- direction of the proposal endorsed; TF will continue work
- Appendix C: RDA 220.127.116.11, Resource Issued in More Than One Part -- more work to be done on the wiki, online
- Appendix D: RDA 18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124 -- principally for dealing with embedded metadata; waiting for more formal proposal with suggested changes
- Workflow/flowchart on how to make decisions about identifying preferred source—will be worked on for inclusion with the proposal.
Submitted by Dan Lipcan (Thomas J. Watson Library, The Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Report from the TF to Revise Building International Descriptive Cataloging Standards -- revision to an introductory document defining CC:DA
- Report from the TF on RDA Instructions for Governmental and Non-Governmental Corporate Bodies -- Revision proposals approved with some editorial changes before it goes to the JSC. A very thorough and clear 63-page report.
- Report from the TF on Relationship Designators in RDA Appendix K (Appendix K "provides general guidelines on using relationship designators to specify relationships between persons, families, and corporate bodies, and lists relationship designators used for that purpose.") -- This TF has more work to do and will aim to produce a completed proposal by the end of August.
- Report from the TF to Investigate Changes Affecting RDA in the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition -- Full report due at Midwinter; TF will continue their work, mainly editorial/cosmetic changes.
- Report from the RDA Conference Forums and Programs TF -- Will be disbanded after Annual 2013.
- Report from the RDA Planning and Training TF -- This report is a great source for all the RDA webinars produced to date -- it lists and links to all of them:
- Report from the MARBI Representative -- See Liz O'Keefe's report, forthcoming.
- MLA revision proposal re: librettos -- Further discussion and straw poll to be taken online -- proposal, alternative, or...?
- Revision proposal from OLAC on video encoding formats -- Approved pending editorial changes.
- Revision proposal regarding Hearings -- RDA 126.96.36.199.1, approved.
- Report of the CC:DA webmaster -- demo of a Wordpress option for the CC:DA web site; we'll discuss potential future uses of the site at Midwinter.
... go to more ALA reports ...