ALCTS CCS Subject Analysis Committee
ALA Annual Conference 2002, Atlanta, GA

Members present on June 16: Bogan, Harken, Hearn, Hostage, Miller, Robare, and Swensen. Absent: Lovins.

1.1Welcome and introduction of members and guests

1.2 Adoption of agenda [SAC02-ANN/1]

The agenda was adopted.

1.3 Adoption of the 2002 Midwinter Conference minutes [SAC02-ANN/4]

The minutes were approved.

1.4 Update on MARBI (Shelby Harken for Bonnie Dede) [SAC02-ANN/5]

See written report.

1.4.1 Discussion of MARBI proposals

Shelby Harken said that changes to accommodate the FAST project were discussed at Saturday’s MARBI meeting, and approved so the project could proceed as planned. Also, the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) was discussed at Saturday’s meeting. Shelby was asked a number of questions about FRBR’s implications, and she said that issues raised by FRBR are in the discussion stage with offshoot proposals possibly coming later.

1.5 Report on the Sears List of Subject Headings (Joseph Miller) [SAC02-ANN/6]

See written report.

1.6 Report of the Library of Congress liaison (Lynn El-Hoshy) [SAC02-ANN/7]

See written report.

Lynn El-Hoshy said that form/genre headings will have two authority records, one for use as a form or genre (155) and another as a topic (150). MARBI has approved for the 655 tag the use second indicator values 0-6, as they are defined for 600-651 fields. Lynn confirmed that “Textbooks” has been approved for use as a form subdivision, as well as a topical subdivision. Some of the attendees informed her of diacritics problems with Pinyin romanization and she said she would follow up.

1.7 Dewey Decimal Classification Division reports

1.7.1-2 Report of the Decimal Classification Division liaison and Report on Dewey Classification and OCLC Forest Press (Julianne Beall) [SAC02-ANN/8]

See written report.

There are currently many openings in the Division, many of them senior positions, but work in the Division still continues on schedule.

1.7.3 Report of the Dewey Classification Editorial Policy Committee liaison (Jessica MacPhail) [SAC02-ANN/9]

See written report.

1.8 Report of the IFLA liaison (Lois Mai Chan) [SAC02-ANN/10]

See written report.

1.9 Discussion period [review tape]

Lois Mai Chan and Lynn El-Hoshy gave an overview of the FAST project. FAST is considered to be an extension of LCSH. The main objective of the project is to develop a subject heading schema suitable for metadata, which may be used by metadata creators without specialized training, working in the search engine environment. The aim of the FAST project is to make subject metadata assignment (1) easy, (2) intuitive, (3) logical, and (4) scalable from simple to sophisticated. FAST attempts to retain the content richness of LCSH within a simple machine-readable syntax. The four types of facets are (1) topical, (2) geographic, (3) form, and (4) chronological; they are supplemented with names, conferences and meetings, and uniform titles used as subjects. FAST processes LCSH strings in three phases: (1) faceting, (2) validation, and (3) authority record creation. This is a large project, but good progress has been made. 379,099 subject headings have gone through all phases and are completed, as are the form headings. 51,498 geographic headings have been faceted and are in the validation phase. The chronological headings are faceted and validated, but very few authority records will be created because time spans may be assigned as needed. 423,025 personal name headings have been faceted and are now being validated. Corporate names, conference and meeting names, and uniform titles have not yet been processed. Completion of the FAST project is slated for the fall of 2002. Lois and Lynn, when asked why one would maintain both LCSH strings and faceted headings, responded that both have important roles in their respective environments. It was noted that conversion from LCSH strings to faceted headings is a one-way process, and many converted LCSH subject strings will not be able to be reconstituted from their faceted forms. The FAST database will reside on OCLC, and will be promoted and marketed by OCLC in the future.

1.10 Report of the Chair of SAC (David Miller) [SAC02-ANN/11]

See written report.

David Miller called upon SAC members for assistance with updates to SAC’s web page. When asked, he said that SAC would be pleased to receive liaison reports in both written and electronic forms to be posted on the web site.

1.11 Old Business

1.11.1 Consent Agenda. Confirmation of online votes:
1.11.1.1 Approval of charge: Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability
1.11.1.2 Approval of SAC participation in DDC preconference, with PLA
1.11.1.3 Approval of 2003 program on Reference Structures

The Committee voted to approve the Consent Agenda.

1.11.2 Update of SAC’s participation in ALCTS Task Force on LC’s Bibliographic Control Action Plan (Shelby Harken)

Shelby Harken has been contacted by the Task Force, but she has not yet attended a meeting.

1.11.3 Update on DDC 2003 Preconference (Jessica McPhail) [SAC02-ANN/12]

All preparations are going well. Attendance is currently estimated at 75. The Canadian Library Association’s Technical Services Interest Group has applied to co-sponsor the preconference.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 noon.

Members present on June 17: Bogan, Harken, Hearn, Hostage, Lovins, Miller, Robare, and Swensen.

2.1 Welcome and introduction of members and guests

2.2 Old Business

2.2.1 Report from LC’s Action Plan Forum (Sunday morning) (Diane Dates Casey) [SAC02-ANN/13]

See written report.

LC will revise the Action Plan to reflect the outcome of Sunday’s meeting, and the revised plan will be available online. The section of the plan that most concerns SAC is Section 2, particularly 2.3. The ALCTS Task Force is the lead agency for this part of the Action Plan. Judy Ahronheim is chairing a group working on 2.3; Shelby Harken and Sara Shatford Layne are members of this group. Section 5, item 5.1 is of interest to the SAC Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials. LC intends to have the Action Plan in place by January 2003, and will distribute the plan to the library community and vendors in 2003.

2.3 Report of the SAC Subcommittee on Subject Reference Structures in Automated Systems (Sara Shatford Layne) [SAC02-ANN/14,14a]

See written reports.

The Subcommittee has not yet completed its charge, and Sara Shatford Layne requested that SAC extend the Subcommittee’s deadline for its final report until Midwinter 2003, which it did. The program on the Subcommittee’s topic is scheduled for Annual 2003, and Tony Olson will chair a subcommittee to plan and stage it.

2.4 Report of the SAC Subcommittee on Fiction Guidelines (Ruth Bogan) [SAC02-ANN/15]

See written report.

Ruth Bogan stated that the Subcommittee is working to complete its charge on time. However, the Subcommittee will not recommend a single suite of rules to follow when assigning genre and subject headings to works of fiction. Instead, the Subcommittee is comparatively analyzing four different existing sets of guidelines, with regard to how they interpret "best practices" in relation to their respective constituencies. Miller asked if SAC should alter the Subcommittee’s charge to accommodate this interpretation of the charge, but the Subcommittee members feel that this is not necessary.

2.5 Report of the Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials (Lori Robare) [SAC02-ANN/16,16a]

See written reports.

2.6 Report of the SAC Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability (Shelby Harken) [SAC02-ANN/17]

See written report.

The committee is in its early organizational stage. Written minutes from its first meeting of June 14th will be available in the near future.

2.7 New Business

David Miller suggested that SAC consider the concept of “The User” for an Annual 2004 program. “The User” is often assumed to be a homogeneous entity, and not an aggregate of very different individuals. He distributed a brief bibliography on the topic, comprised mostly of writings by Hope A. Olson. An animated discussion followed. SAC will continue to consider and discuss “The User” as a possible program topic.

2.8 Open Announcement Period Required by Committee

SAC has a discussion list. Any one wishing to join the list should contact David Miller.

Mark McKnight, SAC’s liaison from the Music Library Association, has published a new book with Scarecrow Press entitled Music Classification Systems.

Lori Robare and Ruth Bogan have completed their terms on SAC. They will be missed. Claudia Hill, Bruce Trumble, and Andrea Kappler replace them as new members. James Baker has completed his term as intern, and Sandra DeSio is the new Committee intern.

Melody Lembke from the American Association of Law Libraries will no longer be a liaison to SAC. The new liaison will be announced before Midwinter.

At LC, Winston Tabb has resigned as Associate Librarian, and Beacher Wiggins, the current Director of Cataloging, will replace him as the Acting Interim Associate Librarian. Until Mr. Wiggins' position is filled, his duties will be distributed and shared among senior staffers.

Scarecrow Press has published a new book by Alenka Šauperl entitled Subject Determination during the Cataloging Process. Arlene Taylor served as editor for the book.

Positions in LC’s Dewey Classification Division, as well as in many other divisions, are currently listed as open.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:35 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

James E. Baker, Intern